Festival De Cannes will present the Un Certain Regard film award during the festival. This selection means from another point of view or a certain glance. This year marks the 70th year this film festival continues to influence film world-wide. Un Certain Regard introduced in 1978 by Gilles Jacob. The film section presents original films showing for the first time at Cannes. There are 18 films selected for Un Certain Regard film award selected by a jury.
Uma Thurman is president over the jury for Un Certain Regard. Her experience at the festival as a jury member and 20+ year career. The festival says in a statement,
“Her filmography encompasses everything from action films to science fiction; intimate dramas to light comedies. This wide variety is a testament to her free and independent spirit, nurtured by her childhood in a hippy family. Whether playing crazy, sexy or dominant, the woman whose namesake is the Hindu goddess of beauty and light has definitely entered the pantheon of movie greats, with several of her scenes attaining cult status.”
Even though she states, “My washing machine overwhelms me with its options and its sophistication.” Presiding over Un Certain Regard will not be overwhelming with her talent and Cannes experience.
Un Certain Regard films this year represent a vast variety of genres, countries, and a few experiencing their world film premiere at Cannes. The films official selection for Un Certain Regard are:
- AALA KAF IFRIT (Beauty and the Dogs)(La Belle et la Meute)
- Director BEN HANIA Kaouther
- Actors Neder Ghouati
- Country Tunisa, France, Sweden, Norway, Lebanon, Qatar, Switzerland
- Plot During a student party, Mariam, a young Tunisian woman, meets the mysterious Youssef and leaves with him. A long night will begin, during which she’ll have to fight for her rights and her dignity. But how can Justice be made when it lies on the side of the tormentors?
- Trailer http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/festival/web-tv/trailer/aala-kaf-ifrit
- APRÈS LA GUERRE (After the War)
- Director ZAMBRANO Annarita
- Actors Barbora Bobulova, Giuseppe Battiston, Fabrizio Ferracane
- Country France
- Plot A choral fresco that touches one of the darkest pages of recent Italian history. In the cast: Giuseppe Battiston, Barbora Bobulova, Fabrizio Ferracane, Elisabetta Piccolomini, Jean Marc Barr, Charlotte Cetaire. The film has been recognized as a cultural interest by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities – Cinema Directorate General and is supported by CNC, Aquitaine Region, Gan Film Foundation, with the support of the Emilia Romagna Region and with the contribution of Unipol Banca. The Film Commission Bologna and the Cineteca di Bologna collaborated.
- Director AMALRIC Mathieu
- Actors Jeanne Balibar Lisa Ray-Jacobs
- Country France
- Plot A director wants to make a biopic about the female singer Barbara.
- Trailer http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/festival/web-tv/trailer/barbara
- EN ATTENDANT LES HIRONDELLES (Until the Birds Return)
- Director MOUSSAOUI Karim
- Actors Aure Atika, Hania Amar
- Country France
- Plot A beautiful story, with a series of portraits that evokes contemporary Algeria” Alice Winocour, director and sponsor 2016 of the Foundation.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foLGVJ2fwCg
- FORTUNATA (Lucky)
- Director CASTELLITO Sergio
- Actors Jasmine Trinca, Hanna Schygulla, Stefano Accorsi
- Country Italy
- Plot The story of a young mother (Jasmine Trinca) with a failed marriage behind her, who fights daily for her dream to open a hair salon, challenging her fate in an effort to free herself and gain independence and right to happiness.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv47a8di5p0
- Social Media
- JEUNE FEMME
- Director SERRAILLE Léonor
- Actors Laetitia Dosch, Souleymane Seye Ndiaye, Grégoire Monsaingeon
- Country France
- Director CANTET Laurent
- Actors Marina Foïs, Matthieu Lucci
- Country France
- LA CORDILLERA
- Director Santiago MITRE
- Actors Christian Slater, Elena Anaya, Ricardo Darín
- Country Argentina | France | Spain
- Plot At a summit of Latin American presidents in Chile, where geopolitical strategies and alliances are drawn, Hernan Blanco, the president of Argentina, goes through a political and family drama. He is involved in a case of corruption through his son-in-law. At the request of her father, Marina Blanco attends the summit to seek protection, gain time and negotiate an exit. The past, once quiet and domestic, becomes a dangerous element when viewed from the summit of public life, seen from the summit.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6mH7RjkVY
- LAS HIJAS DE ABRIL (April’s Daughter) (Les Filles d’Avril)
- Director FRANCO Michel
- ActorS Emma Suárez, Hernán Mendoza, Joanna Larequi
- Country Mexico
- Plot April’s Daughter (Spanish: La hijas de abril) is an upcoming Mexican drama film directed by Michel Franco.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPoQkiNVbKM
- LA NOVIA DEL DESIERTO (The Desert Bride) (La Fiancée du Désert)
- Directors ATAN Cecilia PIVATO Valeria
- Actors Paulina García, Claudio Rissi
- Country Argentina | Chile
- Plot A feel-good story of a woman’s metamorphosis, the transformation of her life and vision of herself, made delicately step-by-step, about someone who was a bird in a cage and finds her freedom and rediscovers life.
- LERD (Dregs) (La Lie)
- Director RASOULOF Mohammad
- Country France
- LU GUO WEI LAI (Walking The Past Future)
- Director LI Ruijun
- Country China
- Plot The Yangs have moved from Gansu, one of the poorest provinces in Northwestern China, and settled in Shenzhen in South China more than 20 years ago. Having hoped to find a future for their next generation, the Yangs only reckon that after many hard years of working in Shenzhen as construction and factory workers, the new Shenzhen no longer has a place for them. They return to their home village in Gansu.
- Director Gyӧrgy KRISTÓF
- Actors Judit Bárdos, Attila Bocsárszky, Sándor Terhes
- Country Slovakia | France | Hungary | Czech Republic
- Plot OUT is an odyssey about 50-year-old family man Agoston wandering through East Europe. After loosing his lifelong job in a power plant of small Slovak village Agoston takes the shady but alluring opportunity to work as a welder in a shipyard in Latvia. The journey in hopes of a new job in reality turns into an accelerating whirlwind of absurd events of short encounters, newly found-and-lost-again friendships subtracting from Agoston all his possessions and everything he once believed to be his whole life.
- POSOKI (Directions)
- Director KOMANDAREV Stephan
- Actors Assen Blatechki, Ivan Barnev, Stefan Denolyubov |
- Country Bulgaria | Germany
- Plot A road movie set in present day Bulgaria, a country remains optimistic, mainly because all the realists and pessimists have left. At a meeting with his banker, a small business owner, who drives a cab to make ends meet, discovers the bribe he will have to pay to get a loan has doubled. The ethics board that reviewed his complaint about extortion now wants its share of the action. At his wit’s end, he shoots the banker and then himself. The incident sparks national debate on talk radio about how despair has taken over civil society. Meanwhile, six taxi drivers and their passengers move through the night, each in hope of finding a brighter way forward.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTNmCcc9K6o
- SANPO SURU SHINRYAKUSHA (Before We Vanish)
- Director KUROSAWA Kiyoshi
- Actors Masami Nagasawa, Ryûhei Matsuda, Hiroki Hasegawa |
- Country Japan
- Plot A couple of Shinji and Narumi, lived in a loveless marriage. One day Shinji left missing for a week and he got gentle and calm suddenly after coming home. Narumi was puzzled with its radical change. She asked what Shinji was doing while he was away. Shinji replied, ‘I just have strolled.’ For medical specialist, the cause of his symptoms were unclear. ‘I’m not sure your husband has brain disorders, memory loss or any other disease…’ A doctor only makes an ambiguous diagnosis.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLNuzX8cdUw
- Website http://sanpo-movie.jp/
- Social Media
- TESNOTA (Closeness) (Étroitesse)
- Director BALAGOV Kantemir
- Actors Darya Zhovner, Adina Olga, Dragunova Avi, Artem Tsypin, Zalim Nazir, Zhukov David, Veniamin Kats
- Country Russia
- Plot 1998, Nalchik, North Caucasus, Russia. 24-year-old Ilana works in her father’s garage to help him make ends meet. One evening, her extended family and friends gather to celebrate the engagement of her younger brother David. Later that night, the young couple is kidnapped, and a ransom demand delivered. In this close-knit Jewish enclave, involving the police is out of the question. How will the family raise the money to save David?
Ilana and her parents, each in their own way, will go as far as necessary, whatever the risks to themselves…
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1ep4kO5XM
- Director GRISEBACH Valeska
- Actors Meinhard Neumann, Syuleyman Alilov Letifov,Reinhardt Wetrek
- Country Germany | Bulgaria | Austria
- Plot A group of German construction workers start a tough job at a remote site in the Bulgarian countryside. The foreign land awakens the men’s sense of adventure, but they are also confronted with their own prejudice and mistrust due to the language barrier and cultural differences. The stage is quickly set for a showdown when men begin to compete for recognition and favor from the local villagers.
- WIND RIVER
- Director SHERIDAN Taylor
- Actors Elizabeth Olsen, Jeremy Renner, Jon Bernthal
- Country UK | Canada | USA
- Plot An FBI agent teams with the town’s veteran game tracker to investigate a murder that occurred on a Native American reservation.
- Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STbM6PlZUIY
You can see the screening guide here. This award is announced May 27 at Cannes Film Festival.
This 70th year will continue to evolve film worldwide. Stay tune here for coverage of events from fashion, red carpet, actresses/actors, and films.
Connect With us here for your best lifestyle:
Cannes Film Festival connections here: